The Big Reveal

Drum roll please. I guess you all have waited long enough. Chris and I have officially accepted trail names. We've turned down several couples names i.e. Mickey and Minnie, Bonnie and Clyde (sorry Rooster) trying to hold out for names that had a fun story and/or meaning. So, without further ado, I will reveal our new trail names.

Chris has officially become known as Moose. The name was first suggested by Laser Death Kill (Jack) while Long Spoon (Tom) was reading us a children's book, Little Loon and Papa,at a diner in Hot Springs, NC. In this book, a moose is pictured that the whole group decided depicted the essence of Chris. He debated taking this name for a while but friends and other fellow thru-hikers all started referring to him as Moose and the name stuck. Thus, Chris became Moose.

As for myself, my trail name was given to me by my dear friend Nomad. For those following Nomad's blog, you may have already read that my new name is none other than...Wide Load. Go ahead and laugh, get it out, and then allow me to explain. When Nomad first met us, we were hiking in the Smokies. Chris being the faster hiker, I typically hike in the front to keep the pace and keep us together. Hence the name Wide Load because Nomad says I'm like a wide load truck going up the trail, not allowing Chris to pass. I also have a short, fat pack that adds to the image and makes cutting corners around trees difficult; I sometimes knock myself off balance, forgetting that my pack is wider than, well, me. Plus, I tend to slow down on big climbs while gaining speed on the downhills. So, it is for all of these reasons that I decided to finally accept the name given to me. I must say, though, it is still difficult to introduce myself as Wide Load. I usually receive some funny looks and timid questions upon introduction which makes for a good icebreaker. Nomad also thinks I should tell people that they should have seen me before I started the trail and that I've already lost a couple hundred pounds. Sorry ER, you tried to give me a nice, pretty name and I end up with a name like Wide Load but it definitely makes for a good story and a good laugh so I've decided to embrace the name given me by the trail.

Cassandra

"A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches" Proverbs 22:1



This entry was posted on Monday, April 15, 2013. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “The Big Reveal”

  1. And that is how one gets a trail name. I've enjoyed following your blog. You are doing great. If you can make it to Hot Springs, you can make it to Harpers Ferry,and if you can make it to Harper's Ferry you can make it to Katahdin. I hope you are enjoying the trail towns. Looks like Spring has finally arrived, you will have a whole different experience now (but don't send home your winter gear until you have crossed over Mt. Rogers two days out of Damascus). You'll be in Harper's Ferry in 6 weeks with even if you take 5 zero's and 6 to 7 Nero's (you will start counting Nero's as anything under 15 miles a day because you will be done by early afternoon-you'll see). Don't let all the trail talk about Roan Mtn, scare you, it is easy with long and well groomed switchbacks with only the last quarter of a mile of steep trail. After Roan Mtn, you must stay at the Mountain Harbor Hostel, Best breakfast on the trail, no exaggeration. It's going to get hot, stay hydrated.

    ReplyDelete