Trail Magic

mag•ic - supernatural qualities or powers; giving a feeling of enchantment

I'd read that the trail could restore your faith in humanity. I guess I'd never really thought I'd lost it, my faith in mankind, but sometimes I do wonder. So I came on this trail, basically trying to still see the good in people yet having lived long enough to see between the lies, and am finding that kindness and hospitality does indeed still exist.

On the trail, acts of kindness/unexpected gifts have come to be known as trail magic. For those that have never heard of trail magic, it is the most amazing, appreciated sentiment in the entire world to a thru-hiker. I honestly don't know if I have the words to describe the overwhelming joy/relief/disbelief/thankfulness that overtakes me when I happen to be the recipient of such a gift.

Trail magic, like all gifts, can be exhibited in various ways. One method of trail magic is through an anonymous gift of food and/or drink left at the base of a tree near a trail head or a road crossing. Sometimes there is a note or a message from whom the gift is by i.e. a former thru-hiker or a local. Sometimes there's soda or beer just chilling in a nearby creek or a grocery bag full of goodies simply asking you to pack out your trash. Trail magic, no matter the source, is always a much anticipated surprise. I'm not going to lie, though, I've been known to check every ditch as I cross a road in hopes of finding a treat but I've been scolding myself for this act. I should be surprised by trail magic, not expecting or disappointed when it's not readily available at my every whim; besides, the surprise of it all is part of what makes it so fun and wonderful.

Another form of trail magic seen on the trail is an act performed by what we thru-hikers like to call trail angels. One of the most well known trail angels I've seen on the trail thus far is by a man named Fresh Ground. This man sets up camp for about a week at a time and simply feeds and serves an entire bubble of thru-hikers at a time. Fresh Ground puts signs up on trees and at shelters letting hikers know there's food and drink up ahead. He cooks up hotdogs, sets out salad, chicken noodle soup, hot chocolate, coffee, etc. Everybody loves to see Fresh Ground. He takes time out of his schedule to arrange various meeting places right off the trail and tells you, "all you can eat, all you can tote". He feeds us out of his own funds and when that runs out he works off of hiker donations. Fresh Ground will soon be taking some much deserved time off from feeding us hungry thru-hikers to hike a section of the trail himself; he has truly been a blessing, set up in just the right places to give us nourishment and energy when spirits and calories were running low.

Next we come to a trail angel very near and dear to my heart, a man I've come to know as Nomad. I first met Nomad in the Smokies; Nomad, Witch Doctor, Kinsey (now 12 oz), as well as myself, all had Arc'teryx coats and posed for pictures. Later we hiked through snow and ice, with many slips and falls, to get to safety and a food resupply in Gatlinburg, TN. Since then, we've shared many miles, meals, and conversations. With all the cold weather and snow drifts we'd fought through together, our group became like a mini family of sorts and you start to learn the hearts of men. Nomad's heart clearly belongs to the Lord and has the gift of giving and serving. He'd always say he lived in Texas so he had to do his trail magic on the trail, carrying extra food and Gatorade to give to fellow thru-hikers running on short supply. For a thru-hiker, carrying extra weight up miles of mountain is not particularly pleasant or intended. Long story short, one day just outside of Erwin, Nomad decided that it was selfish of him to keep hiking. He loves serving God and serving people and decided that he had the most fun and peace while serving hikers so that's what he was going to do. He bought a van (formerly named Gina, newly renamed the Vanimal) suited for a bunch of dirty hikers and plans on following this bubble all the way to Maine. Like Fresh Ground, he sets up camp at road crossings with spreads of fruit salad, sandwiches, chips, drinks, etc. On more than one occasion Nomad has met me at the base of the trail with a big hug and a Mountain Dew. I cannot thank him enough for his continued kindness and assistance along the trail.

Side Note: I'm carrying Nomad's fancy camera on the trail with me so he doesn't miss anything. Feel free to check out his blog for additional pictures and/or to follow along with his journey on the trail.

www.onthetrailwithgod.wordpress.com

Well, I think I've typed enough for now. Hopefully I've enlightened you, either a little or a lot, to the world of trail magic and all its wonder. As for an ending thought to ponder, and to possibly put into action, try to incorporate a little trail magic into your own daily lives; after all, magic isn't reserved for trails and fairy tales. Magic is little bits of love and kindness, disguised as a smile, wrapped in free, undeserved gestures and gifts that we can show everyday, catching our unsuspecting fellow man by surprise, leaving them with a feeling of awe and confused appreciation.

Love and prayers always,
Cassandra

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi













This entry was posted on Thursday, April 18, 2013. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

2 Responses to “Trail Magic”

  1. thanks for the great blog posts! my husband and i thru hiked last year and enjoy following your blog. :)

    now that you're in virginia... we live in northern virginia (30 or so trail miles before harper's ferry) and would love to provide some trail magic for you guys or help you out if you need anything.

    my email is mackenzieparks@gmail.com if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow your journey sounds like lots of fun. Thanks for filling in on trail magic, really has inspired me to want to create some magic to give to others.

    I am enjoying reading the blog- thanks for the post

    ReplyDelete